Computational power

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.

Computational power

Postby hir0406 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Hello,
I want to test 10yrs of tick data for almost all pairs. So I know when testing optimization it will take 10-12 days for each pair. Now I can't keep my main machine turn on for 6-7 months for this test this ea's ,so I want to purchase a cheap laptop for doing testing. Can please someone suggest me what configuration I can go for running 2 mt4 for testing tick data .
hir0406

Re: Computational power

Postby tickstory » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:27 pm

Hi Hir0406,

Generally speaking, the higher specification of machine you have, the faster your test processing will be. This includes ensuring you have sufficient CPU and memory - I would imagine a minimum spec being a dual-core CPU with at least 8GB of memory. Rather than purchasing an additional PC, you may want to consider renting a VM which can have these sorts of specs and run 24/7 as part of a monthly fee you pay.

Before you embark on a large testing exercise, you may want to consider using some "pre-screening" techniques on your EA such as:

- Testing with Open Prices mode (usually more applicable for longer term strategies).
- Filtering duplicate ticks from the exported data (assuming your EA is not sensitive to these changes) and;
- Breaking down your back-test into smaller periods such as the last 1-2 years (after all, if the EA isn't testing well within this period, you may not want to trade it).

Hope this helps.
tickstory

Postby hir0406 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:44 am

can you suggest any vps that is cheap because last time I searched for such configuration cost for each month was around 60-70$ and for 10monts it will be 600-700$ so don't you think 400-500$ laptop will be a better option as we do not need 24/7 internet?
hir0406

Postby tickstory » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:08 am

Hi Hi0406,

Unfortunately we don't have any VPS providers we specifically recommend. $60-70 per month sounds quite hefty - you might want to check some of the mainstream providers such as Namecheap. You'll obviously need to do your own cost/benefit analysis based on how long you intend to use the VPS vs buying a notebook outright. If a $400-500 laptop will do the job, it sounds like the best option.

Regards.
tickstory

Return to General Discussion