Dates Missing in back test

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.

Dates Missing in back test

Postby LorraineP » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Hello,

I have strategy tester set for a 2 year period. I noticed when I look at the results, there are date gaps. If you notice in this pic, a trade in July 2017 then not another until August of 2018! LoL ...this EA trades several times a week on a live account with these same settings, same pair.
What is wrong?
And there's more than one place in results with date gaps. Just posted this screenshot for an example.

Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 8.01.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 8.01.55 AM.png
LorraineP

Re: Dates Missing in back test

Postby tickstory » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi Lorraine,

First thing to establish is whether the your data has been download and exported correctly.

- FIrstly, in Tickstory, go to the 'Data Inspector' and try to view the date range in question (select the '4 hour' timeframe, otherwise they'll be too much data to display).
- If all the dates appear correctly, then next step is to do the same in Metatrader's Tools->History Center. Is the data all there for the given symbol for the 2017-2018 year?
- If yes, you'll need to check your EA parameters to ensure nothing is preventing it from trading during this period. Depending on the EA, it can have various parameters that might stop it from trading in certain conditions. If so, make sure you disable them all and try again.

Hope this helps.
tickstory

Postby LorraineP » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:54 pm

tickstory wrote:Hi Lorraine,

First thing to establish is whether the your data has been download and exported correctly.

- FIrstly, in Tickstory, go to the 'Data Inspector' and try to view the date range in question (select the '4 hour' timeframe, otherwise they'll be too much data to display).
- If all the dates appear correctly, then next step is to do the same in Metatrader's Tools->History Center. Is the data all there for the given symbol for the 2017-2018 year?
- If yes, you'll need to check your EA parameters to ensure nothing is preventing it from trading during this period. Depending on the EA, it can have various parameters that might stop it from trading in certain conditions. If so, make sure you disable them all and try again.

Hope this helps.

Hello,
Where do I find "Data Inspector"? I looked under Settings, Tools, and Help
LorraineP

Postby LorraineP » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:47 pm

Ok I found the Data Inspector. Checked it for dates.
Then I got this error. Said to report it to you. I couldn't copy and paste. (on my mac)
Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 5.45.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 5.45.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 5.45.29 PM.png
LorraineP

Postby tickstory » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:27 pm

Hi LorraineP,

If you're running on a Mac, we unfortunately we don't officially support nor test under this O/S so it might be difficult to troubleshoot this for you.
If you can tell us the exact steps you did to get this error, we can check it under a supported Windows (7, 8, 10) platform to see if we can reproduce it.
The first thing to check would be that you have Microsoft .NET v4.6 or greater installed on the machine since these sorts of errors are typically caused by an out-of-date or corrupt component on your machine.

To keep moving forward on your original issue, please proceed to step 2) and hopefully the above-mentioned checks will resolve the error you are getting.

Thanks.
tickstory

Postby LorraineP » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:13 pm

I apologize for the confusion. I am using my mac, but tick story is installed on my windows VPS.
So, lets continue with troubleshooting.

Yes, history is showing all for EURUSD in MT4 Tools>history

Perhaps I can do a screencasting of my steps? If that would help, just let me know at what point in the process you'd like me to start.
LorraineP

Postby tickstory » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:52 pm

Hi Lorraine,

Thanks for the clarification. Please check your VPS for the Microsoft .NET v4.6 installation as mentioned. You can find out here if your specific operating system version is supported: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet ... quirements.

Given that all the history is in the MT4 database, this is a good indication that your EA is not trading during that period for some reason. I suggest you use the "visual" back-testing mode to test the period where you are not trading. If you see the data correctly appearing during this test, it is pretty clear that your EA is not trading as a result of some trade logic or error (the EA journal might be reporting errors, so check that as well). We've written a general guide for trying to trouble-shoot EA problems in our FAQ that may help: https://tickstory.com/help/tickstorylit ... nottrading.

Hope this helps.
tickstory

Postby LorraineP » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:25 pm

I contacted my VPS hosts and they said I'm running V4.0. They will upgrade it this weekend to V4.6

So I will test again after the upgrade.
LorraineP

Postby LorraineP » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:05 pm

Ok so I'm upgraded to V4.6, but still having MISSING DATA ranges.

Weird I back tested one time for EURUSD currency on H4 and I had all the data. I changed SL in EA, ran the test again, and missing Data. Why?

See image

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 7.25.16 AM.png
LorraineP

Postby tickstory » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi Lorraine,

Good to hear that the .NET issue is resolved.
Regarding the missing dates, please check this in order:

1) In Tickstory, use the Tools->Show data feature to display the data range you are looking at. Is it there? If yes, it means Tickstory has downloaded the data correctly and everything is ok.
2) In Metatrader, go to the Tools->History Center and ensure the data range exists there. If it does: It's likely your EA that is not trading during the period you mention and you will need to trouble-shoot why (usually this is a parameter causing this). If it doesn't exist, it means something wrong occurred during your export from Tickstory.

Hope this helps.
tickstory

Next

Return to General Discussion